Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
VIA maps, greyed out options on voting screen
22.11.2022, 08:06 UTC
VIA maps, greyed out options on voting screen
Hey,

I noticed 2 new maps have been added to the Doom server, they are automatically downloaded to the drive when joining.

But now I also see some voting options are not available anymore, why is that?

gday, from ur dear lieutenant.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28.11.2022, 13:54 UTC
RE: VIA maps, greyed out options on voting screen
Hi Kilgore hope you're good.

Yeah, the way custom map downloading is programmed on this game makes you get all content upon joining the server, even if only playing standard maps.

However the VIA Tech sponsored maps are just 2 small files totalling 8 mb, added to rotation because it's something very special created by noted mapper Josh 'b0rg' Holmes way back when Doom 3 was released:

Quote:VIA Releases Custom DOOM 3 Multiplayer Map

Available from VIA Gamers Arena, VIAVGA DM1 further extends this year’s major PC game release to the multiplayer arena

Taipei, Taiwan, 8 September 2004 - VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator and developer of silicon chip technologies and PC platform solutions, today released VIAVGA DM1, a custom made multiplayer map for DOOM 3, the stunning new PC game from id Software.

VIAVGA DM1 has been developed by the editor of VIA’s official games website VIA Gamers Arena, Josh 'b0rg' Holmes, using the feature-packed DOOM 3 level editing program, DOOMEdit, and has been created with a focus on fast free-flowing game play. Unlike the other heavily detailed Quake III engine benchmarking custom maps Josh has developed for VIA, VIAVGA DM1 has been optimized to run with smooth and consistent frame rate speeds for chaotic multiplayer action.

“The creation of VIAVGA DM1 was inspired by strong community demand for more DOOM 3-based multiplayer maps, as well as the uber-coolness of DOOMEdit,” said Josh Holmes, editor of VIA Gamers Arena. “The new lighting and shadow rendering technology in DOOM 3 really appeals and it was a lot of fun experimenting with all of the new bells and whistles. I've been pleasantly surprised with how many new features I have been able to incorporate into VIAVGA DM1 and still maintain acceptable frame rates.”

Incorporating original assets from DOOM 3, the design and layout of VIAVGA DM1 has a similar feel to many Quake III Arena multiplayer maps, featuring several main combat zones connected via tighter corridors, ducts and hallways. Containing a mixture of open areas for free-range (rocket jumping) action and various confined areas for close quarter combat, VIAVGA DM1 is littered with strategically placed weapons, armor and ammo as well as destructible light fixtures, exploding gas tanks, volatile movable barrels and other devious deathtraps.

VIAVGA DM1 accommodates one-on-one games for two players, ‘Free For All’ (FFA) games for up to 4 players, and more if used in conjunction with user-made mods, and for team deathmatch games.

Quote:VIA Releases 2nd Custom DOOM 3 Multiplayer Map

VIA Gamers Arena has released the second in their series of DOOM 3 Deathmatch maps

Taipei, Taiwan, 6 December 2004 - VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator and developer of silicon chip technologies and PC platform solutions, today released VIAVGA DM2, the second custom made multiplayer map for DOOM 3, the stunning FPS game from id Software.

Building on the success if VIAVGA DM1, which was released on September 8, 2004 and announced by the most prominent hardware online magazines and downloaded by more than 10,000 gamers, Josh ‘b0rg’ Holmes (the editor of VIA’s official games website VIA Gamers Arena) has developed VIAVGA DM2, the second map in the series. Created with DOOMEdit, the official DOOM 3 level editing program, VIAVGA DM2 was designed to make the most of DOOM 3 rendering optimization techniques, affording consistent playable frame rates and boasting an even higher level of detail and eye candy than that of the original.

“I learned a lot about optimizing DOOM 3 level design for efficient frame rate speeds during the development of VIAVGA DM1 and took all of that into consideration when I began creating VIAVGA DM2 from scratch,” said Josh Holmes, editor of VIA Gamers Arena. “As a result, a higher level of geometric and lighting detail was achieved without sacrificing playability.”

Incorporating original assets from DOOM 3 as well as several custom light and decal textures, VIAVGA DM2 features a symmetrical layout and design, which makes it easy to navigate and become familiar with. Made up of several main combat zones connected via large open corridors and stairwells the entire map is littered with strategically placed weapons, armor and ammo as well as explosive movable barrels.

VIAVGA DM2 supports all available modes of play and is well suited to larger sized, ‘Free For All’ (FFA) games for up to 8 players and also team deathmatch games.

VIA Releases Custom DOOM 3 Multiplayer Map

VIA Releases 2nd Custom DOOM 3 Multiplayer Map

Some voting flags on D3 and Q4 were made temporarily unavailable, like time and frag limits, because of extensive hit and run trolling by (I guess) other server admins. Let me know when you're going in and I'll change it back for you. The same goes for the rest of the community, contact me and it will be reverted when you want to play.

Genocide Watch GameSurge
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cuchillo_Baishan's post:
Lt. Colonel Kilgore
29.11.2022, 00:30 UTC
RE: VIA maps, greyed out options on voting screen
Nice to know man, nice to know. Cool

[Image: tomhanks.gif]
Find all posts by this user